First Team 3-2 Carlton Town – Swans through to next round of FA Cup

12th August 2019 Off By bartontown
Barton Town3-2Carlton TownAtt
Moody 10 PEN, 69, Hinchliffe 38Stovell 29, Maddison 77 PEN204

Barton Town progressed to the next round of the FA Cup after a 3-2 win over Carlton Town in the FA Cup Extra-Preliminary Round.

First half goals from Reece Moody and Ben Hinchliffe gave the Swans a 2-1 lead at the break after Kyle Stovell had equalised in spectacular fashion for the visitors. There was a lengthy break in play for an injury to Cameron Morfoot before Moody grabbed his second. Tom Maddison scored 15 minutes from time to make it a nervy finish for Barton.

1Harvey Cartwright
2Joe Busby ⭐
3Peter Winn
4Matt Plummer
5Levi Tarbotton (🔻 Knaggs, 45)
6Cameron Morfoot ( 🔻 Steel, 65)
7Eddie Rogerson ( 🔻 Waudby, 69)
8Craig Disley
9Reece Moody ⚽⚽
10Ben Hinchliffe ⚽
11Tom Sawyer
12Alex Knaggs (🔺 Tarbotton, 45)
13Tom Waudby ( 🔺 Rogerson, 69)
14Jamie Goddard
15Adam Young
16Braedon Steel (🔺 Morfoot, 65)
17Mitch Langton

It was a cagey start for both sides, but Barton soon found the ascendancy. Busby was causing the Carlton defence all kinds of issues and played a key part in the first goal. He went on a quick mazing run into the area before he was fouled, the referee pointing to the spot. Up stepped Moody, who slotted to his right to open the scoring just ten minutes in.

The Swans had a chance to double their lead as the ball was played across the face of goal, but Sawyer couldn’t quite get to the ball to put it in the net. The Millers were soon level.

Kyle Stovell equalises for Carlton.

On 28 minutes the ball was played into the Barton area and Kyle Stovell attempted an overhead kick, the ball found its way past Cartwright and Carlton were level thanks to a brilliant goal.

It was a case of what Carlton can do, Barton can do better, as they scored their own fantastic goal to restore their lead. A tackle in the Swans area saw the ball played to Busby, who found Disley, who found Hinchliffe. The latter lashing a powerful low shot into the bottom corner to give the Swans the lead in a brilliant counter-attack.

Ben Hinchliffe restored Barton’s lead.

Midway through the second half there was a nasty clash between Carlton’s striker and Morfoot. There was a lengthy delay while Morfoot was seen to and an ambulance was called. Huge credit to Matt Plummer, who acted quickly to put Morfoot in the recovery position. Morfoot was escorted from the pitch on a stretcher and has gladly made a full recovery.

After the return to action Moody grabbed his second with a well taken shot to make it 3-1 to the Swans. Carlton were then awarded a penalty of their own, which Tom Maddison dispatched to make it 3-2. Cartwright went the right way but couldn’t quite keep the shot out.

It was a nervy finish as Carlton fought for an equaliser, had it not been for some resolute defending from the Swans they would have been level.

The Swans are through to the Preliminary Round, where we will welcome Grantham Town to the Easy Buy Stadium on Saturday 24 August.

Swans’ Man of the Match: Joe Busby.