Swans exit League Cup on penalties following thrilling Liversedge game

25th September 2019 Off By bartontown
Barton Town4-4LiversedgeAtt
Hinchliffe 9, 36,
T. Waudby 75, Moody 80
2-4 on pensWalton 12, 55,
Plummer 63 og, Fearon 67

Barton Town crashed out of the NCEL League Cup after a thrilling contest at the Easy Buy Stadium went to penalties.

The game ended 4-4 after extra time, which saw Barton come from two goals down. Though in the shootout the Swans lost 4-2 to a strong Liversedge side.

James Bennett and Ian Durnian took charge of the side following Dave Ricardo’s departure last week.

1Sam Riches
2Ellis Barkworth
3Peter Winn
4Tom Sawyer 🔻Rogerson 90
5Matt Plummer
6Aaron Brettell 🔻Tarbotton 32
7Tom Waudby ⚽🟨
8Craig Disley (c)
9Marc Cooper 🔻Moody 70
10Ben Hinchliffe ⚽⚽
11Will Waudby
12Eddie Rogerson 🔺Sawyer 90
14Mitch Langton
15Reece Moody ⚽ 🔺Cooper 70
16Levi Tarbotton 🔺Brettell 32

First Half

It took just nine minutes for Barton to take the lead. The ball was played through to Ben Hinchliffe, and the prolific Swans striker curled it into the bottom corner from just inside the area to give Barton the lead.

Three minutes later the ball was given away in defence and Joe Walton was on hand to tap it in. The last person any defence would want to give the ball away to.

Barton then had two brilliant chances to regain their lead. Pete Winn played the ball over to Hinchliffe, but he couldn’t connect to the ball. Two minutes later Marc Cooper was in on goal, his curled shot was well saved by the Liversedge goalkeeper.

The Swans were forced into an early substitution as Aaron Brettell came off with a shoulder injury. Levi Tarbotton replaced him.

36 minutes in Barton were gifted a chance to take the lead again. Hinchliffe was tripped in the area and referee Matthew Bacon pointed to the spot. Hinchliffe stepped up and scored his second penalty in as many games to make it 2-1 at the break.

Two minutes later it could have been three as Hinchliffe crossed to Cooper, who had a free header six yards out. However the striker’s effort was straight at the ‘keeper.

Barton were almost made to pay for the miss as Liversedge were in on goal. The returning Sam Riches pulled off a fine save and the ball spilled out to another Liversedge player. Riches then saved that effort too to pull off a fantastic double save.

Second Half

A common theme from Barton’s season so far reared its ugly head in the form of a second half capitulation.

On 55 minutes Walton grabbed his second of the game as he lobbed the ball over and on-rushing Riches from the edge of the area to bring Liversedge level.

Seven minutes later the ball was played into the area and Matt Plummer in an attempt to clear the ball, prodded it into his own net to put the hosts in the lead.

67 minutes in it was four. Riches went to clear the ball but in doing so it ricocheted off Oliver Fearon and went in the back of the net. Barton looked down and out.

However they showed tremendous fighting spirit. Tom Waudby fired a low shot through a crowded box into the bottom corner to give the Swans hope.

With ten minutes to go Reece Moody, a substitute, latched onto a Winn cross and prodded the ball past Walton, who was now in goal following an injury to their ‘keeper.

The final whistle blew and it went to penalties. 4-4 was the final score in a crazy game at the Easy Buy.


Barton Town

Liversedge went first and scored. Walton went from goal-scorer to goal-stopper as he saved the Swans’ first penalty from Hinchliffe. Liversedge scored their second. Craig Disley stepped up next and scored, ‘Sedge scored again. Tom Waudby went next and slotted his penalty in. Again Liversedge scored. Winn was next up, and had to score to keep Barton in it. However he skied his effort over the bar and the visitors went through after an enthralling contest.

Lindsey Relay Man of the Match

Ben hinchliffe was chosen by match sponsors AP Robinson.