Barton Town FC

Swans pick up first win of season against Knaresborough

Barton Town2-0Knaresborough Town
Josh Batty 18, 24Att: 176

Barton Town picked up their first three points of the season against Knaresborough Town at a drizzly Easy Buy Stadium.

Josh Batty’s first half brace secured the win for the Swans, who had to play 45 minutes with ten men as captain Taron Hare was sent off just before the break.

1Charlie Dixon
2Josh Lacey
3Scott Matthews
4Josh Baker 🔻Peat 2
5Taron Hare (c) 🔴
6Chaz Fisher
7Robbie Start
8Grant Tait 🔻Disley 80
9Luke Anderson
10Josh Batty ⚽⚽⭐
11Ben Hinchliffe 🔻Eccles 57
12Craig Disley 🔺Tait 80
14Nathan Peat 🔻Baker 2
15Ryan Caulfield
16Josh Eccles 🔺Hinchliffe 57

Rob Watson chose an unchanged side from the midweek draw with Handsworth, but was forced into a substitution just 40 seconds in when Josh Baker came off worse from a clash of heads. Nathan Peat came on in his place.

It was an end to end opening 15 minutes, which culminated in Knaresborough having the first chance of the game. They sprung our offside trap and the striker cut inside with a neat turn, but it went out for a corner.

Moments later the Swans took the lead. Josh Lacey curled a wonderful ball into the area. It was headed back across goal and Josh Batty was on hand to head it in.

Five minutes later and Batty had his second, and an early goal of the season contender. He was played in and with plenty of space, he hit a venomous shot from 30 yards out, which curled over the ‘keeper and into the back of the net. A fantastic strike.

Batty had a couple of chances to grab his hat-trick but the Knaresborough ‘keeper pulled off some good saves to deny the Swans striker.

Batty celebrates his second goal.

On the stroke of half time the Knaresborough striker was in on goal. Taron Hare chased him down and slipped, making contact with the striker. He regained his composure and shot at Dixon, but the Swans ‘keeper saved it. The referee then pulled play back for a free kick and sent Hare off for ‘denying a goal-scoring opportunity.’ Much to the confusion of most in the ground.

The resulting free kick forced a brilliant save from Dixon, with the rebound falling to them too, Dixon pulled off another save. Determined to keep the clean sheet Dixon had another fantastic game.

The second half settled and came about the Swans consolidating the win and hanging on for a clean sheet.

There were a few chances for either side, with Knaresborough hitting the post just before the hour mark. But there were no further goals and not much more in the name of action on a very wet afternoon in Barton.

The Swans picked up their first win of the season and moved up to 13th in the table. With three tough away games coming, and suspensions for Batty, Hare and Chaz Fisher incoming, the next three games will be tough for Rob Watson’s side.

Lindsey Relay Man of the Match

Match Sponsor John Chapman chose Swans striker Josh Batty as his man of the match.
Swans pick up first win of season against Knaresborough

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to top