Barton Town FC

Reserves maintain unbeaten run with 2-2 draw at Sculcoates

Report by Liam Graham

The Reserves extended their unbeaten run to three on Saturday in an exciting fast paced 2-2 draw away to Sculcoates Amateurs.

Changes were required from the side that had previously beaten South Cave a week before, as Assistant Sam Wood had to don the gloves with usual number one Dunn missing as precaution to Covid. Adam Whall was still sidelined with injury. Bryn Everitt, Tad Dixon and Kian Salter all retuned to the reserves this week.

1Sam Wood
2Bryn Everitt
3Tad Dixon
4Luke Kershaw
5Clay Bryant (c)
6Robin Woodforth
7Kian Salter 🔻Wright 62
8Chris Rodgers
9Jack Crofton ⚽
10Jack Finnis ⚽
11Brendan O’Callaghan 🔻Goluch 73
12Charlie Wright 🔺Salter 62
13Daniel Goluch 🔺O’Callaghan 73
14Dale Heseltine
15Brendan McCardle
16Chris McConnell

Both the home side and Barton started well and it was Sculcoates who looked to have had the better of the possession albeit in their own half.

Jack Finnis was causing problems down the left side and his cross in the 15th minute met by Crofton was well saved by former Swans first team ‘keeper Sam Riches in the Sculcoates goal.

The back four of Everitt, Kershaw, Bryant and Dixon were resolute in any Sculcoates attacks.

Barton broke the deadlock in the 36th minute following a Sculcoates corner. Finnis broke out at pace and played a sublime defence splitting pass with the outside of his boot which Crofton broke the line to run clear, he rounded Riches on the edge of his area and calmly slotted the ball home.

The second half wasn’t showing to be any different in the early stages as Barton again were having lots of success down the left hand side. Finnis was fouled in the 56th minute, he then sent in a free kick from a wide angle which avoided all and proved an awkward bounce in the 6 yard box which then found its way into the Sculcoates net to give Barton a 2 goal lead.

The introduction of new signing 16 year old Charlie Wright brought some fresh legs into the back four.

Finnis then had the opportunity to square the ball off to O’Callaghan who would have had a empty net to score into, however some last ditch tackling saw Sculcoates break away with some fine work down the right hand side from Chuna, who played in Stock who neatly put away his chance, game back on.

The goal spurred Sculcoates into life and they were now pressing high up the pitch and having some success down the right hand side the impact of Chuna proving well, Barton defending resolute as Skipper and man of the match Bryant put his body on the line, time and time again.

The pressure finally told in the 79th minute, as a cross came in from the right hand side which should have been dealt with but the ball unfortunately hitting debutant Charlie Wright after Opie’s header was fluffed, and rolled into the Barton net to make things all square.

The final moment of matter was a contentious one, when Crofton seemingly clear was cleaned up by keeper Riches who rushed out his box. Luckily for Riches the referee decided it was only a caution when many around the ground thought it was a challenge worthy of more, nothing came of the free kick and an exciting game finished all square at 2-2 and a point a piece.

Reserves maintain unbeaten run with 2-2 draw at Sculcoates

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to top