Reserves out of Challenge Cup after extra-time loss to Keelby United

Reserves out of Challenge Cup after extra-time loss to Keelby United

2nd October 2023 Off By bartontown
Barton Town Reserves3-6Keelby United
Dixon 5
Burnett-Haynes 57′
Palfreyman 86
AETBradbury 27
Austwick 32
Sleeman 47pen, 94
Kavanagh 112, 115

Barton Town Reserves were condemned to their first defeat of the season, with Keelby United knocking the Swans out of the Challenge Cup after extra time.

The Swans took an early lead through Tad Dixon before goals from Ollie Bradbury and Tom Austwick put the visitors ahead at the break. A Jack Sleeman penalty put Keelby two ahead before goals from Harry Burnett-Haynes and Jamahl Palfreyman sent the game to extra time. It was a step too far for the Swans however as Sleeman added his second before a late brace from Coby Kavanagh secured the win for Keelby.

1Patrick Shaw
2Lucas Hunsley
3Craig Sedman
4Bryn Everitt 🟡
5Tad Dixon ⚽🟡
6Liam Kendall 🔻59′
7Joel Chapman 🔻83′
8Radu Valeanu 🔻59′
9Josh Goodman 🔻59′
10Kian Salter 🔻83′
11Harry Burnett-Haynes ⚽🟡
12Max Brandrick 🔺59′
14Seb Burnett 🔺83′
15Jake Forman 🔺59′
16Wes Naulls 🔺59′
17Jamahl Palfreyman ⚽ 🔺83′

The Swans took an early lead on a rainy day in Barton when a corner was swung in, it fell to Josh Goodman in the area whose shot was blocked. Swans skipper Tad Dixon was on hand to slot in the rebound.

Keelby rallied and started to grow into the game, they got their equaliser when Patrick Shaw’s throw was intercepted by Ollie Bradbury, who cut in and curled his shot into the top right corner. The visitors took the lead five minutes later when Tom Austwick fired past Shaw and into the back of the net as Keelby started to control the game.

Barton were producing chances, Radu Valeanu and Bryn Everitt both firing wide for the Swans but to no avail. This meant the Swans went in two-one down at the break.

Moments after the restart, Keelby were awarded a spot-kick, which Jack Sleeman slotted in to put the visitors two goals ahead. The third goal seemed to spur Barton back into action, as ten minutes later the Swans pulled a goal back.

Kian Salter swung in a free kick which Harry Burnett-Haynes glanced past goalkeeper Elliot Broughton to halve the deficit. The Swans starting to fight back and chase the equalizer.

The Swans made a triple change on the hour mark, with Academy products Max Brandrick and Jake Forman being introduced along with Wes Naulls. Valeanu, Liam Kendall and Josh Goodman making way.

Burnett-Haynes was having plenty of luck down the left hand side, but the Swans couldn’t find that killer final pass to level the scores.

Two more Academy products were introduced soon before the end, with Seb Burnett and Jamahl Palfreyman being introduced in place of Kian Salter and Joel Chapman.

The Swans won a free kick on the left side with just five minutes left on the clock. Palfreyman crossed the ball into the area, no one managed to flick it on as it rolled into the back of the net. Palfreyman’s equalizer sending the game to extra time.

Extra time seemed to be a bridge too far for the Swans, with Sleeman scoring his second of the game moments after the restart. With the Swans fighting for another equalizer Keelby hit on the counter and Coby Kavanagh’s late double rounded off the win for the visitors. They head into the Challenge Cup quarter finals.