Swans suffer defeat at hands of Maltby Main

Swans suffer defeat at hands of Maltby Main

28th March 2024 Off By bartontown
Barton Town0-2Maltby Main
Warne 68’
Newsham 72’

Barton Town suffered defeat at the hands of basement side Maltby Main on a wet and windy night at the Easy Buy Stadium.

A second half double from McKenzie Warne and Marc Newsham sealed the win for the visitors, as the Swans’ poor form continues.

1Jordan Douglas
2Josh Smaller ◀️81’
3Clark Greaves
4Henry Cook
5Fraser Papprill
6Matt Clayton
7Tom Waudby (c)
8Craig King
9Reece Moody
10Shakeel Brown ◀️67’
11Will Waudby
13Will Mitchell
14Joel Chapman ▶️81’
15Harrison Coley ▶️67’
16Tom Davie
17James Playford

There were two changes to the side that lost to Hallam on Tuesday night. Henry Cook came in for injured Owen Davey, while Grimsby Town loanee Shakeel Brown came in for Harrison Coley for his first start.

Heavy wind and rain made playing football much harder, with neither side in the ascendancy.

Tom Waudby and Brown were linking up well for the Swans, who enjoyed a lot of possession but only managed one real chance in the first half. Tom Waudby’s strike from distance going just wide of the post.

Early in the second half Matt Clayton had to be alert as he headed a cross onto his own bar before being cleared for a corner.

Oliver Currie was next to go close for the visitors as he turned and shot. Fraser Papprill did enough to defend it as the strike sailed over the bar.

Second half Maltby substitute Oliver McQuillin almost gave Maltby the lead if not for some good defending from Clark Greaves. The visitors soon did lead however.

McKenzie Warne was first to a cross and prodded the ball past Jordan Douglas to put the visitors ahead. Having played the better football in the second half it was a deserved lead.

Things went from bad to worse for the Swans when Marc Newsham was through, rounding Douglas and tapping into an empty net.

There was a chance to halve the deficit when Coley’s free kick was met by the head of Tom Waudby, but his header was saved by Louis Hood in the Maltby goal.

Playing three games in five days was taking its toll on the Swans, who were completely out of energy in the closing stages.