Reserves lose to table topping South Cave

18th February 2020 Off By bartontown
South Cave United3-0Barton Town Reserves

Saturday’s game saw Top (South Cave) v Bottom (Reserves), in a game which was played in pretty poor conditions on a 3G surface.

Manager Liam Graham was able to name a full side including Matty Hinchliffe (debut) for his first game in five years. Elliot Sampson , Harry Peacock came in and the side skippered by Tom Darwood in Robin Woodforth’s and Clay Bryant’s absence.

1Jack Dunn
2Thomas Dixon
3Elliot Sampson 🔻Patchett 46
4Joe Atkinson 🟡 🔻Goluch 54
5Matthew Hinchliffe 🔻Whall 64
6Luke Kershaw
7Harry Peacock
8Tom Darwood (c)
9Michael Broom
10Harry Finnis
11Kian Salter
12Nathan Patchett 🔴 🔺Sampson 46
13Daniel Goluch 🔺Atkinson 54
14Adam Whall 🔺Hinchliffe 64
15Bryn Everitt
17Connah Oliver

The opening half hour was encouraging for the Reserves as they were causing Cave lots of problems, Kian Salter having success down the left hand side unfortunately to no success inside the box as Cave’s defence stayed resolute.

Cave’s chances were limited or from distance but were growing into the half, Atkinson booked in the 24th minute for a late challenge just on the edge of the 18 yard box. The free kick attempt luckily sailed over Man of the Match Keeper Dunn’s goal.

Cave however did break the deadlock on 29 minutes, another clumsy foul in a dangerous position saw a free kick whipped at pace to the near post which beat Dunn to give Cave a lead against the run of play.

Harry Finnis then went close with an effort from the edge of the 18 yard box, which went wide.

Cave doubled their lead just before half time from a corner, which was met with a free header inside the six yard box.

Patchett replaced the injured Sampson at the break, as Barton looked to press on for a goal. Signs were encouraging when Salter got a shot off from 20 or so yards which was saved by the keeper.

Whall replaced Atkinson to add more attacking options, but to no avail, as South Cave grew into the game more and more and dealt with the poor weather conditions very well. Barton had the inspired Dunn to thank as he pulled off three super saves at point blank to keep it at 2-0.

Goluch came on for Hinchliffe who had gotten through a good hours work on his return.

Cave kept on the pressure and got rewarded in the 90th minute after Patchett brought down Cave’s man inside the box, which he received a Red Card for. Cave’s man put away the resulting penalty to condemn the Reserves to yet another defeat!