Barton Town FC

Reserves narrowly lose out to Westella on opening day

Barton Town Reserves1-2Westella & Willerby
J. Finnis 2Wood 19, 44

The Reserves finally got back to competitive action on Saturday, 190 days on after their last HPL Premier game in a 1-0 victory at The Easy Buy Stadium against Hedon Rangers prior to the National Lockdown.

They welcomed Westella & Willerby to The Easy Buy stadium for the 2020/21 season opener in front of a brilliant crowd of 130 watching spectators.

1Jack Dunn
2Bryn Everitt 🔻Heseltine 70
3Nathan Patchett 🔻Goluch 46
4Tad Dixon
5Clay Bryant (c) 🟡
6Luke Kershaw
7Kian Salter 🟡 🔻Herrick 75
8Adam Whall
9Jack Crofton
10Jack Finnis ⚽
11Brendan O’Callaghan
12Ben Herrick 🔺Salter 75
13Daniel Goluch 🔺Patchett 46
14Dale Heseltine 🔺Everitt 70
15Connah Oliver
16Brendan McCardle

The season couldn’t have started any better for the Swans Reserves outfit as they took an early lead, 1 minute 37 seconds into the game. Barton broke down the left hand side, and O’Callaghan put the ball into the danger area and Jack Finnis did the rest from close range.

Westella didn’t become despondent, they then controlled the majority of possession for the remainder of the first half and got their rewards for doing so. First they picked the back pocket of the Barton full back in the 19th minute to draw legs as Alex Wood nipped in to provide a tidy finish at the far post.

This was followed by a number of decent set pieces which Kerins was delivering with the aid of a slight cross field breeze. That paid off just before the break, when another delivery bounced awkwardly in the middle of a congested box, Alex Wood again popped in to stab home to give Westella the lead at the break.

Barton were forced into a change as Patchett was withdrawn with a knock. Goluch entered the game and looked lively. After a hectic ten minute period the game slowed down a little. Westella, had chances aplenty to put the game to bed. Vazquez up top causing problems and creating space for partner Spinks, they found Dunn in good form who pulled off two or three good saves in succession. Spinks then rattled the top of the crossbar with a free kick, before being withdrew.

Heseltine replaced Everitt, as Barton pushed on in search of an equaliser. Westella continually defended well, then breaking at pace. Barton in the last 5 minutes then had what looked a certain penalty appeal turned away by the referee as Goluch was fouled in the area, much to the frustration of the onlooking crowd.

Westella themselves then had an appeal turned away when Vazquez was tumbled to the ground, which was the last action of the game as Westella held in for the 2-1 win and the three points on the opening day, in what was an extremely competitive and fast paced game.

Reserves narrowly lose out to Westella on opening day

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to top