Barton Town FC

Swans crash out of Vase with 3-0 defeat at Charnock Richard

Charnock Richard3-0Barton Town
Grimshaw 44, 74
Haydock 86
Att: 173

Barton Town crashed out of the FA Vase at the first attempt with a 3-0 defeat at Charnock Richard. The scoreline arguably flattered the opposition but the Swans failed to take crucial chances.

Two Carl Grimshaw goals either side of half time and a late Lewis Haydock goal sealed the win for the hosts, with the Swans struggling to score the second week in a row.

1Charlie Dixon
2Grant Tait
3Robbie Start
4Scott Matthews 🟡
5Josh Lacey
6Chaz Fisher (c) 🟡 🔻Millson 70
7Craig Disley 🔻Batty 65
8Josh Baker 🟡
9Luke Anderson
10Nathan Peat
11Ben Hinchliffe
12Adam Millson 🔺Fisher 70
14Ryan Caulfield
15Matt Plummer
16Josh Eccles
17Josh Batty 🔺Disley 65

The Swans had the first chance of the game, with the ball being laid off to Nathan Peat on the edge of the area, but his shot went wide of the goal. Charnock’s attackers had plenty of pace and were causing the Swans defence some issues.

It was an end to end game with half chances aplenty for both sides. Luke Anderson was next to test the Charnock defence as he ran onto a loose ball. However, he could only put his shot straight at the ‘keeper.

Anderson soon had another chance to put the Swans ahead as he gambled on a defender missing the clearance, he ran in behind and got to the ball. He went it himself but could only put the ball into the side netting.

The hosts put the Swans under immense pressure at the end of the half and it showed when they took the lead. A long throw found Carl Grimshaw unmarked. Their striker had a free header and looped it over Charlie Dixon and into the back of the net.

In the second half Charnock were the better side for the most part, playing into the wind suited them. The Swans fought hard to equalize, with a couple of corners seeing good chances go begging. However a second goal came just 15 minutes before the final whistle. Grimshaw was played in again and smashed his effort past Dixon into the roof of the net to score his and Charnock’s second.

This seemed to wake the Swans up, as Barton fought to get back into the game and started to dominate possession. The golden chance came on 82 minutes as Adam Millson headed the ball over from just six yards out. It just wasn’t to be for the Swans.

On 86 minutes Charnock made certain of the win with a third goal as Lewis Haydock drilled his effort low past Dixon into the bottom corner to seal a win for the hosts.

The Swans were in the game for the most part, but just couldn’t get the goal that their play deserved. With Barton now out of both FA competitions, attentions can turn to the NCEL Premier Division, starting with a midweek trip to Grimsby Borough on Wednesday.

Swans crash out of Vase with 3-0 defeat at Charnock Richard

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to top