Nine man Swans unlucky in draw with Handsworth

30th September 2020 Off By bartontown
Barton Town1-1Handsworth
Hobson og 13Att: 226Walton 88

The Swans picked up their first point of the season at home to Handsworth, despite having two men sent off early in the second half.

Barton took an early lead through a Bailey Hobson own goal on 13 minutes. Five minutes into the second half Chaz Fisher was sent off, and then on the hour mark Josh Batty was also shown his marching orders. Barton defended resolutely until Callum Walton finally found a way through in the 88th minute.

1Charlie Dixon ⭐
2Josh Lacey
3Scott Matthews
4Josh Baker 🟡
5Taron Hare (c)
6Chaz Fisher 🔴
7Robbie Start 🟡
8Grant Tait 🔻Caulfield 90
9Luke Anderson 🟡
10Josh Batty 🔴
11Ben Hinchliffe 🔻 Disley 90
12Ryan Caulfield 🔺 Tait 90
13Craig Disley 🔺 Hinchliffe 90
14Josh Eccles
15Bryn Everitt

There were a couple of early chances for either side, but neither could hit the target, but the Swans took the lead on 13 minutes after a nice spell of pressure.

Some nice work from Luke Anderson gave the ball to Josh Batty, who hit a shot that cannoned off Bailey Hobson and into the back of the net to give the Swans the lead.

Barton were on top for most of the first half but couldn’t get the second goal their dominance deserved. Handsworth were strong and threatening on the break, with some quick attackers up front.

Handsworth had a myriad of chances to score in the first half, but were foiled by man of the match Charlie Dixon in goal. He managed to deny Handsworth from just six yards out with a brilliant fingertip save.

After the break Handsworth were awarded a penalty when Chaz Fisher fouled the attacker in the area. No complaints from the Swans as referee Matthew Madison showed Fisher a red card. The Handsworth striker stepped up and Dixon saved the penalty, with the Swans clearing it.

The Swans were defending well with ten, but it got worse when Batty was sent off for an off the ball incident. Barton were a goal up and two men down for the last half hour.

Handsworth were now pressuring the Swans, who sat deep to try and defend their lead. Chance after chance came their way, but they couldn’t score.

With 15 minutes to go they headed over from close range, as well as a shot from inside the six yard area somehow going wide.

A goal for Handsworth looked inevitable, and finally came just two minutes away from the end. A ball over the top was played to Callum Walton, who struck a low drive past Dixon to seal a point for the Ambers.

Barton defended like heroes for the most part, throwing themselves at the ball and defending resolutely. Blocking the balls and putting in vital tackles at the best times.

The first point for the Swans, in front of a healthy crowd of 226. Match Sponsor Rob Cawkwell chose Dixon as the Lindsey Relay Man of the Match for his stellar performance.