Barton Town FC

Swans fight back from two goals down to draw with Staveley

Barton Town2-2Staveley Miners Welfare
Peat 84
Tait 86
Att: 223Boocock 71
Finlaw 83

Barton Town fought back from two goals down to grab a well earned draw with Staveley Miners Welfare on a horrendously wet day at the Easy Buy Stadium.

It took until the final 20 minutes for the deadlock to be broken, as Staveley took the lead and doubled it with seven minutes to go. Nathan Peat pulled one back for the Swans before a wonderstrike from Grant Tait earned the Swans a well earned draw.

1Charlie Dixon
2Matt Plummer 🟡
3Scott Matthews ⭐
4Josh Lacey
5Taron Hare (c)
6Chaz Fisher
7Jack Varley
8Craig Disley 🔻Peat 72
9Josh Batty 🔻Tait 81
10Ben Hinchliffe
11Robbie Start 🔻Anderson 76
12Kieran Mortimer
14Nathan Peat ⚽ 🔺Disley 72
15Grant Tait ⚽ 🔺Batty 81
16Luke Anderson 🔺Start 76

Both sides were even, with the weather making it difficult for either side to get a grip on the game. There were a couple of chances for either side in the first half.

Charlie Dixon pulled off a good double save shortly before half time, before allowing the Swans to break and counter. The ball in to Ben Hinchliffe got away from him and went out for a goal kick.

On the stroke of half time Robbie Start made an excellent solo run into the area, but his final touch was too hard and the ball rolled into the grateful arms of the Staveley ‘keeper.

As the second half begun it was clear that if a chance came it had to be taken. Staveley were on the front foot and were inches from taking the lead. The ball was played to an unmarked Staveley player and his effort went past the post, having missed it by inches.

Barton then almost took the lead as Taron Hare’s header went just over from short range.

However Staveley took their next chance and broke the deadlock on 71 minutes as Rieves Boocock was unmarked in the area, and prodded home to give the visitors the lead.

The Swans found themselves 2-0 down when Sam Finlaw hit a brilliant strike from 25 yards out. The ball was laid off to him and he smashed it past Dixon.

The scoreline was harsh on the Swans, who had been in the game and deserved something out of it. There was a lifeline moments after Finlaw’s goal. Substitute Nathan Peat rose highest from a corner to head the ball in.

Seconds later the ball was laid off by Hinchliffe to Grant Tait, who took a touch and shot from 30 yards out, his shot flying past the ‘keeper. A sensational strike which got Barton back into the game.

There was even time for the Swans to almost take the win as Luke Anderson’s header went just wide moments before full time.

Staveley almost took the lead again too, with the ball laid off to their striker. He hit a first time strike but josh Lacey pulled off an incredible block to deny them.

However the points were shared and it was a fair result for both sides, as it was a fantastic game for the neutral in what were torrential conditions for a football game.

Match Highlights courtesy of Barton FM

Swans fight back from two goals down to draw with Staveley

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to top