Swans return to winning ways at Tadcaster Albion

Swans return to winning ways at Tadcaster Albion

29th November 2023 Off By bartontown
Tadcaster Albion1-3Barton Town
Stewart 45Att: 103T.Waudby 10, 78
King 90

Barton Town picked up their first win since September 8 with a 3-1 win over Tadcaster Albion at the So-Trad Ltd Stadium.

Tom Waudby opened the scoring after ten minutes before Luke Stewart equalized on the stroke of half time. After a cagey second half Waudby grabbed his brace ten minutes from time before Craig King made sure of the points in stoppage time.

1Ryan Musselwhite
2Clark Greaves
3Will Waudby 🔻90′
4Iwan Heeley 🟡
5Fraser Papprill
6Josh Smaller 🟡
7Tom Waudby (c) ⚽⚽ 🔻90′
8Craig King ⚽
9Sam Cable 🟡 🔻90′
10Harrison Coley 🔻67′
11James Playford
12Matt Clayton 🔺90′
14Dan Chapman
15Henry Cook 🟡 🔺67′
16Brooklyn Dennis 🔺90′
17Kian Salter 🔺90′

There were two changes from the side that lost to Rossington Main on Saturday. Iwan Heeley and Fraser Papprill came in for Tom Davie and Henry Cook. Cook dropped to the bench with Brooklyn Dennis and Kian Salter returning to the matchday squad.

It took just five minutes for the first chance of the game with Stewart striking just wide for Tadcaster after some good work from Junayd Cassius-Gill. Stewart had another chance seconds later playing a nice one-two before firing wide. They were made to rue these chances as the Swans took the lead a couple of minutes later.

Will Waudby picked up the ball on the left before sending a diagonal ball into the area which found brother Tom Waudby. The Swans winger headed it into the top corner to put Barton ahead, his 16th goal of the season.

Tadcaster rallied, Stewart received the ball in the Swans box but his turn and strike was well saved by Ryan Musselwhite.

An end to end game with plenty of good football and attacking play, the Swans were holding their lead well but Tadcaster were dangerous on the break. Joe Dixon was next to test the Swans’ resolve ten minutes before the break but his curling effort went just wide.

The equalizer was coming, as Tadcaster piled on the pressure before the break. Charlie Owen had an effort deflected out for a corner before the equalizer finally came.

A corner was sent into the area and the ball was fired towards goal with Stewart adjudged to have gotten the final touch as the ball rolled past Musselwhite into the back of the net. The hosts were level and it was deserved after such an even first half.

The second half began much like the first ended. Dan McDaid fired wide from inside the area as the game looked like it could go either way.

Dan Thirkell had to save the hosts at the other end as the ball fell to Sam Cable in the area but an excellent tackle from the Taddy centre-half kept the game at 1-1.

Just after the hour mark Musselwhite rushed out to meet the ball but was left in no-man’s land. Some excellent defending from Fraser Papprill and Josh Smaller denied two Tadcaster efforts and spared the Swans ‘keeper’s blushes.

Tadcaster were piling on the pressure but the Swans held firm, and were rewarded for it on 78 minutes when James Playford unleashed a venomous strike which hit the cross bar. Tom Waudby was on hand to head in the rebound and score his and Barton’s second.

With seven minutes left on the clock a fight broke out with Conor Qualter being sent off for his part in the scrap. If Tadcaster were to get another equalizer, it would be with ten-men.

In stoppage time as the Swans were holding on, Craig King went on a run before slotting the ball home for his fourth goal of the season, and securing a much-needed three points for Danny North’s side. His first win since stepping up to the Manager’s role.