Swans sunk by Rossington Main

Swans sunk by Rossington Main

27th November 2023 Off By bartontown
Barton Town1-3Rossington Main
W.Waudby 90Att: 135Grayson 31
Young 63
Sherburn 79

Barton Town suffered defeat in our first home game in over a month with a 3-1 loss to Rossington Main.

The visitors took the lead through a Brad Grayson free kick 30 minutes in. The lead was doubled by Greg Young after an hour before Paul Sherburn added a third ten minutes from time. Will Waudby secured a consolation for the Swans with the last kick of the game.

1Ryan Musselwhite
2Clark Greaves
3Will Waudby ⚽
4James Playford ⭐
5Tom Davie 🟡🔻63′
6Josh Smaller
7Tom Waudby (c) 🟡
8Craig King 🟡
9Sam Cable 🟡🔻68′
10Harrison Coley 🔻77′
11Henry Cook 🔻65′
12Dan Chapman 🔺68′
14Iwan Heeley 🔺65′
15Matt Clayton 🔺77′
16Josh Lacey 🔺63′
17Pete Winn

There was one change to the starting XI, James Playford started in place of Iwan Heeley, who dropped to the bench. Josh Lacey was available and was on the bench.

Rossington started well, and had the first real chance of the game after four minutes when a free header at the back post was well stopped by Ryan Musselwhite and out for a corner.

The Swans were enjoying plenty of possession, playing it out from the back with plenty of build up play. However that edge in the final third wasn’t quite there. 17 minutes in Sam Cable ran onto a loose ball and took a shot which was blocked by the Rossington defender and out for a corner.

On the half-hour mark Craig King conceded a foul on the edge of the box. Up stepped Brad Grayson who curled the ball over the Swans wall and past Musselwhite to give the visitors the lead.

It was almost two five minutes later when a strike on goal was well blocked by Henry Cook. Cook then went up the other end a few minutes later and shot at goal but it was blocked and cleared.

A couple of minutes after the break Sam Cable was played in, running onto the ball and under no pressure. He struck low but the Rossington ‘keeper got down well to save it before the ball was cleared.

For all the Swans’ efforts Rossington were two up just after the hour. Another foul and free kick for the visitors. It was swung into the area and flicked on by centre half Greg Young. His glancing header was past Musselwhite and doubled Rossington’s lead.

The Swans were still trying to get a foothold in the game, and enjoyed a few half chances, but nothing which threatened the Rossington goalkeeper. The visitors were three up ten minutes before time when Paul Sherburn took it round his defender and slotted past Musselwhite.

With the last action of the game the Swans were on the scoresheet. A cross came in and Will Waudby headed it over the ‘keeper and into the back of the net. The referee blowing for full time seconds after.