Barton Town FC

Swans secure big win in survival fight

Barton Town Reserves1-0Hedon Rangers A
Woodforth 64

The Reserves picked up a huge three points In their relegation battle on Saturday with a well deserved 1-0 win over 10th placed Hedon Rangers, thanks to a Robin Woodforth goal just after the hour to lift them of the foot of the Humber Premier league table in front of a healthy crowd of 84.

Micheal Broom returned to the starting line up in one change from the previous week, as manger Liam Graham had a full squad at his disposal.

1Jack Dunn ⭐
2Thomas Dixon 🔻Peacock 70
3Kian Salter
4Matthew Hinchliffe 🟡
5Clay Bryant (c)
6Robin Woodforth ⚽🟡
7Bryn Everitt
8Tom Darwood
9Michael Broom 🔻Atkinson 82
10Adam Whall 🔻Herrick 50
11Harry Finnis 🟡
12Harry Peacock 🔺Dixon 70
13Daniel Goluch
14Joe Atkinson 🔺Broom 82
15Ben Herrick 🔺Whall 50
17Connah Oliver

The early signs were good, as two great chances were created, as in the first minute Harry Finnis found himself one on one with the Hedon goalkeeper, but unfortunately, his effort was straight at the ‘keeper. Then Broom somehow managed to fluff his lines when a couple of yards out to shoot wide.

Hedon had a long range effort superbly saved by Man of the match Dunn who dived away to his far left to tip out for a corner of which nothing came of it for the visitors.

After 24 minutes The Swans Reserves side were down to 10 men (for ten minutes) as Woodforth found himself in the Sin Bin for a cooling down period.

Matt Hinchliffe was then booked, following an incident off the ball, as the Swans side worked hard to keep the score at 0-0 whilst against the added numbers.

Barton had the ball in the back of the net courtesy of a Finnis header from a corner, only to see it ruled out for a push in the box.

The second half Barton had to make an early change. The injured Whall departing for Herrick on 50 minutes.

The Reserves were in much more control during the second half and were creating numerous chances, Everitt’s shot come cross went the full face of the six yard box as Kian Salter arrived at the back post to agonisingly see the ball go past him.

Finally the Swans broke the deadlock to take the lead and ultimate the only goal of the game , when a deep free kick from Skipper Bryant who found Darwood at the back post, put the ball in the six yard box and Woodforth bravely stuck a foot in to poke home from close range.

It should have been 2-0 just minutes later as Herrick’s thunderous first time left footed volley was finely tipped onto the bar hit, the ball returning off the bar hitting the keeper and dropped dead. Bad luck I guess.

Peacock was introduced for Dixon, to add much needed fresh legs, and he added an injection of pace and caused the Hedon left back a number of problems. Salter had a couple of half chances he had hit from distance but landed on the roof of the net.

Dunn having had a quiet second period was then called upon as Hedon created space and got a shot away which Dunn acrobatically beat the bounce to send over the bar for a corner, which was dealt with by Barton’s resilient back four once again.

Atkinson replaced the tireless running Broom in the later stages, to protect a vital lead and 3 huge points for the Reserves side, who travel away to the now bottom North Ferriby Reserves in another huge game next Saturday at South Hunsley.

Manager Liam Graham reflected on his sides win:

“A huge victory for us today and hopefully the start of turning what’s been a hugely frustrating season for us for a number of reasons. The group we now have, have been knocking on the door for a result for 3/4 weeks now. And today I didn’t feel we performed as well as we have in recent weeks but we got the result we needed. So all credit to the players.

“I thought our game management today was much, much better than in previous weeks so we are learning and that’s important to continue to learn lessons as a group.

“Have to give a big shout out to the two lads at centre half today skipper Clay Bryant and Matty Hinchliffe who I thought were outstanding in all they did.

It’s a huge boost to the squad to pick up a much needed victory after last week’s two late goals having put so much into the game.

But we will only be as good as our next result, which is another huge game in our mini league down at the bottom. We will be taking nothing for granted that’s for sure.”

Well done boys!

Swans secure big win in survival fight

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to top