Barton Town FC

Reserves in thrilling 3-3 draw with Grimsby Borough Reserves

The Reserves played out their final pre-season game in a thrilling 3-3 draw under the lights in front of a healthy crowd of 80.

1Jack Dunn
2Bryn Everitt
3Nathan Patchett 🔻Trialist 60
4Tad Dixon
5Luke Kershaw (c)
6Jake Forham
7Aaron Finnis 🔻Goluch 60
8Elliot Sampson
9Kian Salter ⚽
10Jack Finnis
11Brendan O’Callaghan 🔻Trialist 76
12Daniel Goluch ⚽ 🔺A. Finnis 60
14Trialist 🔺Patchett 60
15Trialist ⚽ 🔺O’Callaghan 76

The Reserves took an early lead in just the second minute after Jack Finnis had the beating of his man down the left flank. He delivered a ball across for Kian Salter to stab home from 3 yards out.

The football being played by both sides was high tempo and very attack flowing stuff. Chances were a plenty in the remainder of the half, Aaron Finnis hitting the foot of the post following his ten minute sin bin break. That break allowed a young, hard working Grimsby Boro Res side to get into the flow of the game and they themselves were creating plenty of chances of which the back four of Dixon, Everitt, Kershaw and Patchett remained resolute and up to their work. That was until Grimsby equalised 3 mins before the break after they got in behind to pull the ball back and blast home inside the box.

Brendan O’callaghan then went extremely close with a trade mark left footed free kick on the stroke of half time which Boro skipper Lear saved excellently.

The Swans started well again and Finnis was having the beating of his man down the left time and time again, chances fell to A.Finnis who hit the post again, Salter who had his effort finely saved by the substitute keeper Tice.

Against the run, Boro then took a 2-1 lead , with a set piece, a free header inside the box as no one picked up the advancing runner who powerfully headed beyond Dunn in the swans goal.

He was then called into action again to save neatly at his near post.

The game hadn’t slowed and the tempo brought about tempers and hot blooded challenges which saw Sampson limp off after a nasty challenge.

Swans youngster Forham was working his socks off in the midfield and keeping things ticking for the reserves..

Manager Graham , rang the changes as Herrick, Goluch . and new comer Heseltine entered the frame, and it was Heseltine who got the equaliser and debut goal in the 77th min, as Finnis again beat his man, to pull back to a waiting Heseltine who’s rocket powered passed Tice in the Boro goal much to the delight of the home support.

Sopp pulled up with a hamstring injury as the substitute was made, a moment of madness , saw Boro nick the ball and break, Dixon brought down the forward and a penalty was awarded. Which Boro duly dispatched to make it 3-2 with 5 left in the game.

Goluch was then bundled over in the box, but this time referee Hyke waved it away..

He was the unlucky as his deflected effort which looked over the line was just dragged back by the Boro keeper..

O’callaghan back on for the injured Sopp then picked up the ball 40 yards out, drove through a packed central area and slipped in Goluch who lifted the ball at the same time as falling over with his momentum over the advancing keeper to snatch a well deserved draw and round of the scoring in yet another thrilling pre season game between the two sides.

Reserves in thrilling 3-3 draw with Grimsby Borough Reserves

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to top