Reserves end South Cave’s 21 game unbeaten run

13th October 2020 Off By bartontown
Barton Town Reserves1-0South Cave United
O’Callaghan 33

Report by Liam Graham

Barton Town Reserves hosted a well organised South Cave side on Saturday who boasted an impressive 21 game unbeaten record in the league that had stretched over a year long period.

Barton making 3 changes from the side that had previously beaten Walkington a fortnight ago as Whall, Goluch and Crofton all came back in to the starting 11.

1Jack Dunn
2Adam Whall
3Nathan Patchett
4Luke Kershaw
5Clay Bryant (c)
6Robin Woodforth 🟡
7Daniel Goluch 🟡 🔻McConnell 63
8Chris Rodgers 🟡
9Jack Crofton 🔻McCardle 90
10Jack Finnis
11Brendan O’Callaghan ⚽ 🔻Heseltine 84
12Chris McConnell 🔺Goluch 63
13Sam Wood
14Dale Heseltine 🔺O’Callaghan 84
15Brendan McCardle 🔺Crofton 90
16Tad Dixon

The opening 15 minutes was manic, but no clear cut chances created. As both defensive lines remained resilient.

O’Callaghan had a free kick blocked from the edge of the box following a foul by keeper Johnson in the 20th minute, which on another day may have seen a straight red.

Dunn was then called into action, as Cave’s Bannister looked to head home at the far post, but was adjudged to have made a foul in the process.

Barton then took the lead in the 33rd minute, as Adam Whall played a superb ball over the top to find O’Callaghan who found space in the box but still under pressure. His left footed effort was steered into the bottom right corner much to the delight of another good crowd at The Easy Buy Stadium.

Cave then had a penalty appeal turned away 5 minutes later as Bannister looked to beat Whall but the referee waved away any appeal following the challenge.

The second period of the game saw Barton under pressure for most of the early periods, but an inspired Dunn and a hard working back four kept the score at 1-0.

McConnell replaced Goluch to add more pace to Barton’s attacking options he got in behind but no one to meet his ball in the 18 yard box.

Jack Finnis was now finding time to be able to run at the right back at pace too but South Cave again defending well when it mattered.

Midfield duo of Rodgers and Woodforth were breaking play up at every given chance and was largely on top, which was hugely frustrating for the Cave midfield.

Cave then had the ball in the back of the Barton net in the 70th minute, but a push on Whall and Dunn in the jump, had been seen by referee Wilkin. Dunn then pulled of a fantastic double save in the 75th minute sprawling across his goal mouth to claw a goal bound effort away and a quick reaction to block the rebound with his legs.

Heseltine was introduced to give us a target man up top, as Barton were holding out for a win, he chased down a short pass back to keeper Johnson but the rebounded block went just wide.

South Cave threw everyone forward in a last ditch attempt to get a point from the game but Jack Finnis was back and cleared with a header at the back post late on, The Reserves held on for a fine and well deserved 1-0 victory to end South Caves unbeaten run. A run in which they rightly deserve congratulating on and we wish them well for the rest of the campaign.

Manager Liam Graham reflected on his side’s performance after the game: ”Really proud of the lads today, we had a clear game plan of which I felt we executed to the tee. We showed bags and bags of character to beat a very good opponent.

“When it mattered, each and every man stood up to defend as you have to to get points in this league and they should be very pleased with their efforts today, I know I am! But it’s the age old saying in football. ‘You’re only as good as your next performance’, so we need to use it again and be positive in the next game.

“I thought our ‘keeper “Dunny” was outstanding today the double save with 15 to go was excellent, and that drove us on to hold out for a massive 3 points.”