Barton Town FC

Swans work hard but come up short against Garforth

Garforth Town1-0Barton Town
Barkway 6Att: 117

Barton Town fought but came up just short against Garforth Town as they maintained their 100% start to the season.

An early goal from former Swan Jamie Barkway settled the game, but a strong second half from the Swans almost saw them come away with a draw.

Swans boss Rob Watson could call on a full strength defence with the returns of Taron Hare (suspension) and Matt Plummer (injury) to the side. However Noel Burdett, Luke Anderson, Josh Baker (all injury) and Josh Batty (suspension) are all still out.

1Charlie Dixon
2Josh Lacey
3Scott Matthews
4Matt Plummer 🟡
5Taron Hare (c)
6Chaz Fisher
7Josh Eccles 🔻Dixon 51
8Craig Disley
9Ben Hinchliffe
10Grant Tait 🟡⭐
11Robbie Start
12Tad Dixon 🔺Eccles 51
14Ryan Caulfield
15Bryn Everitt
16Kian Salter

The Swans started the stronger side, dominating the first five minutes and getting in some good areas. On three minutes Plummer played in Ben Hinchliffe, who ran into space and forced a good save out of Toby Wells in the Garforth goal.

Garforth then hit on the counter attack and won a corner after six minutes. The corner was swung in and Barkway, who had a brief spell with the Swans in the 2018/19 season, was unmarked and headed home. Their first meaningful attack resulted in a goal.

Hinchliffe almost gave the Swans the lead.

The goal seemed to spur Garforth on, with them having a few corners in succession. However nothing came of them, with our defence and Charlie Dixon in goal standing firm.

The Swans had their chances though, on the half hour mark Josh Eccles was played in after a wonderful ball by Grant Tait. He ran into space but his shot went just wide. Hinchliffe then had one more chance before half time, but couldn’t quite connect with his shot and it went for a goal kick.

Five minutes into the second half Eccles was brought off as a precaution due to him limping. Reserves player Thomas ‘Tad’ Dixon came on and put on a good display, not looking out of place.

Hinchliffe almost equalized on the hour mark when he struck a well timed shot from the edge of the area. It went just past the post as Barton fought to get back into the game.

Barton were stronger in the final proceedings, with so much pressure on the Garforth goal. The Swans had the ball in the back of the net on 83 minutes when Hare pulled the ball back to Hinchliffe who tapped it in. However the referee said Hinchliffe was offside, yet the ball was played backwards to him. The Swans had every right to feel aggrieved.

The Swans couldn’t find that equalizer but could take a lot of heart from the result. Garforth are a strong side and showed as such with their resolute defending. Barton move onto a local derby at the weekend against Bottesford Town at the Easy Buy Stadium.

Swans work hard but come up short against Garforth

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to top