Swans’ shootout luck runs out with cup exit at Lincoln United

Swans’ shootout luck runs out with cup exit at Lincoln United

22nd November 2023 Off By bartontown
Lincoln United2-2Barton Town
Wright 35
Cotton 90
5-3 pensWright og 8
Cable 22

Barton Town were knocked out of the Lincolnshire Senior Trophy with a shootout loss to Lincoln United. The Swans’ first game in three weeks due to the adverse weather conditions recently, and also new Manager Danny North’s first game in charge.

The Swans raced into a two goal lead thanks to an own goal and a Sam Cable header before Sean Wright atoned for his own goal with one at the right end before half time. Barton looked to be hanging on but a Max Cotton goal deep in added time sent the tie to penalties. The hosts hit all their penalties to secure their progress to the semi finals.

1Ryan Musselwhite ⭐
2Clark Greaves
3Will Waudby 🔻65′
4Iwan Heeley
5Tom Davie
6Josh Smaller
7Tom Waudby (c)
8Craig King
9Sam Cable 🟡⚽ 🔻50′
10Harrison Coley 🔻80′
11Henry Cook 🔻70′
14James Playford 🔺70′
15Dan Chapman 🔺80′
16Brooklyn Dennis 🔺50′
17Matt Clayton 🔺65′
18Danny North

Iwan Heeley finally made his debut for the Swans after signing from Selby at the end of October. Dan Chapman and Brooklyn Dennis dropped to the bench with Harrison Coley and Sam Cable returning to the starting XI. James Playford was on the bench after a small break from football.

It was a positive start from the Swans, and they got their reward just eight minutes in. Will Waudby broke clear down the right and fired a low cross into the area. The ball was met by Lincoln defender Sean Wright who prodded the ball past his own ‘keeper to put Barton ahead.

There was a moment of contention soon after when Sam Cable was booked for a strong challenge on a United player. Much of the home crowd expecting a red card for the tackle.

It was an end to end first half, both sides showing will to get forward and on the ball. Midway through the first half Barton won a free kick in the Lincoln half. It was swung in and the ball fell to Tom Davie on the left of the area. He played a nice lob to find Sam Cable who was in acres of space for a free header into the back of the net.

The second goal seemed to only spur Lincoln on, they started turning the screw and putting more dangerous balls into our area. Barton almost scored a third when a cross in found Tom Waudby with plenty of time to pick his spot. He headed the ball straight at the ‘keeper.

United countered from this and seconds later had pulled one back. Sean Wright volleyed past Ryan Musselwhite to redeem himself for his earlier own goal.

Cable almost scored a second five minutes before the break when the ball was squared across goal and his neat lob from close range over the ‘keeper hit the crossbar before bouncing clear. An excellent opportunity to restore our two goal lead.

The Swans needed half time to come around and fast. United were pressuring and Barton needed to hold on, go into the break and regroup. Thankfully the whistle came and the Swans went in at the break a goal up.

Five minutes into the second half Cable was brought off, having gone down with a slight injury complaint. Brooklyn Dennis replacing him.

On the hour mark Musselwhite, who put in a man of the match display, pulled off an excellent point blank save from a header. The resulting corner again well collected by the Barton goalkeeper.

Moments later, A diagonal ball was sent into the Lincoln area. Tom Waudby headed it back across goal and the ball just evaded the outstretched leg of Dennis.

A manic minute followed as it was Lincoln’s turn to hit the crossbar. Barton countered and Harrison Coley’s shot was blocked and out for a corner.

The last 20 minutes saw United dominate, piling on the pressure, with the Swans soaking it up. Four minutes were added by the referee for added time. The Swans continued to hold firm, and into the fifth minute of added time Lincoln finally broke through. Max Cotton powered the ball home to send the tie to penalties.

Tom Waudby, Craig King and Brooklyn Dennis scored theirs for the Swans before James Playford hit the crossbar. Lincoln hit all five of their penalties to go through.

Lincoln United




Barton Town